Matthew 26:37 And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.
DEPRESSION AND DISAPPOINTMENTS COME IN TWO BASIC CATEGORIES.
1. WHEN WE HAVE SOMETHING TO DO, AND WE DON’T WANT TO DO IT. (LACK OF OBEDIENCE).
That is why people get the idea to just go to bed, and pull the covers over their heads. There is something they don’t want to do.
IT MAY BE DEALING WITH AN UNAVOIDABLE FACT IT MAY BE DOING THINGS THAT ARE RESPONSIBILITIES, BUT WE JUST DON’T LIKE TO DO THEM. IT MIGHT BE THE DREAD OF DOING NECESSARY THINGS—LIKE ROUTINE, EVERYDAY THINGS. IT MIGHT EVEN BY SOMETHING NOT MENTIONED—A SPIRIT OF DEPRESSION. IT IS NOT SINFUL UNTIL WE TURN THE TIME AND GIFTS WHICH GOD GAVE TO US OVER TO THE ENEMY.
2. WHEN WE DON’T SEE ANYTHING TO DO, AND WE SEE NO HOPE AHEAD. (LACK OF FAITH).
What does the Bible say about depression ?
1. DEPRESSION CAN BE A TEMPTATION TO EVERYONE.
A. CHRISTIANS CAN LOSE THEIR EFFECTIVENESS IF THEY PERMIT IT TO STAY WITH THEM.
OBVIOUSLY, JESUS WAS TEMPTED WITH IT. BUT, HE KEPT ON FULFILLING THE WILL OF THE FATHER, AND IT DID NOT LAST.
Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
WHAT IF JESUS HAD STOPPED ?
Philippians 2:26 For he longed after you all, and was full of heaviness, because that ye had heard that he had been sick.
HE WANTED PEOPLE TO KEEP THEIR ATTENTION OF THE LORD, NOT ON HIM. THIS IS GOOD. BUT THE ATTITUDE OF OTHERS CAN BRING YOU DOWN. KEEP YOUR FOCUS ON YOUR OWN WALK, NOT OTHERS.
—THOSE ARE THE THOUGHTS OF GODLY PEOPLE, AND THEY NEED TO QUICKLY TAKE THEM TO THE LORD. DO THE WORK, AND THE FEELINGS WILL FOLLOW.
Proverbs 16:3 Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.
B. DEPRESSION CAN COME WHEN WE MOMENTARILY GET OUR EYES OFF THE HELP THE LORD CAN BRING.
***HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE TO GET INTO AN ACCIDENT IF WE TAKE OUR EYES OFF THE ROAD TO LOOK AT SOME BIRD IN THE TREE ? WITHOUT FAITH IN HIS PROMISES FOR THE FUTURE WE CAN GET DEPRESSED.
1 Peter 1:6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
C. DEPRESSION OVER ANSWERS TO PRAYER.
SOMETIMES WE DON’T LIKE THE ANSWER, FORGET THAT GOD’S WISDOM IS BEST. Look forward to the reward !
2 Corinthians 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
IT WOULD HAVE BEEN EASY FOR PAUL TO GET DEPRESSED. BUT, HE LOOKED AHEAD TO THE BETTER THINGS AHEAD, AND WAS NOT DEPRESSED THROUGH HIS TROUBLES.
2. FRIENDS CAN EITHER BRING ON DEPRESSION, OR HELP OVERCOME IT.
A. WE CAN BECOME DEPRESSED WHEN WE DON’T TURN OUR DESIRES OVER TO GOD.
LET GOD CONTROL YOUR DESIRES. OTHERWISE, YOU WILL GET DEPRESSED, AND WHILE YOU HAVE THE SYMPATHY AND HELP OF FRIENDS, YOU OBTAIN THE JUDGMENT OF GOD.
2 Samuel 13:3 But Amnon had a friend, whose name was Jonadab, the son of Shimeah David’s brother: and Jonadab was a very subtil man.
B. FRIENDS OF THIS WORLD WILL MAKE US THE ENEMIES OF GOD.
SOMETIMES EVEN RELATIVES THAT WE LOVE AND CARE FOR CAN DERAIL OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH THE LORD. Next step after getting you to act or think like the world is to get you to so something against God.
James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
C. LOVE OF MATERIAL POSSESSIONS HAS BROUGHT MANY PEOPLE DOWN.
- IT GIVES YOU THE WRONG KIND OF FRIENDS.
Proverbs 19:4 Wealth maketh many friends; but the poor is separated from his neighbour. God tries to teach those who don’t have a good understanding of economics or sanitation. True friends will, too. Others condemn. Money influences and corrupts many people.
- IT SETS YOU UP WITH THE PROMISE THAT IF YOU JUST HAD MORE, YOU WILL BE HAPPY. MATERIAL POSSESSIONS DO NOT BRING LONG-TERM HAPPINESS, BUT NOTHING MATERIAL IS LONG-TERM. IT BREAKS, IT STOPS WORKING, IT GATHERS DUST, OR IT GETS BORING.
- IT GIVES YOU ROOTS INTO ONE OF THE WORST BEHAVIORS IN THE WORLD. THE LOVE OF MONEY. THIS CAN GET YOUR FOCUS ON THE LORD TOTALLY OFF.
1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil:
- WE CAN GIVE THEM SOME ENCOURAGEMENT IN THE WORD OF GOD. NOT YOUR OWN.
Proverbs 12:25 Heaviness in the heart of man maketh it stoop: but a good word maketh it glad.
THE GOOD WORD IS GOD’S WORD WHICH DIRECTS OUR HEARTS TOWARD THE LORD. INCLUDE SCRIPTURE IN YOU NOTES, LETTERS, AND EMAILS.
- WE CAN USE WHATEVER GIFTS OR RESOURCES WE HAVE TO HELP PEOPLE GET CLOSER TO THE LORD.
Mark 6:56 And whithersoever he entered, into villages, or cities, or country, they laid the sick in the streets, and besought him that they might touch if it were but the border of his garment: and as many as touched him were made whole.
WHETHER THESE PEOPLE TRULY CAME TO KNOW THE LORD AS SAVIOR, OR NOT, GOD GAVE THEM THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO DO SO. YOU CANNOT MAKE A PERSON A BELIEVER. BUT, YOU CAN POINT IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. YOU SHOULD REJOICE THAT YOU HAVE GIVEN PEOPLE THE BEST OPPORTUNITY.
3. DEPRESSION CAN BE COMPLETELY DEFEATED THROUGH CHRIST.
WE ARE ABLE TO OVERCOME THE MOST POWERFUL INFLUENCES THROUGH CHRIST.
- IT TAKES FAITH IN HIS PROMISES. FAITH MUST BE PUT INTO THE RIGHT CONTEXT. IF WE SAY THAT I BELIEVE GOD WILL FORGIVE ME, THAT IS FUTURE. IT WILL NOT TAKE YOU AWAY FROM YOUR DEPRESSION RIGHT NOW. IF YOU PRAY, “GOD WILL LIFT ME OUT OF THIS,” AND YOU ARE THINKING–“ONE DAY” YOU ARE MISSING THE BLESSING OF HAVING GOD’S HAND WORK RIGHT NOW.
- PRAISE TO GOD HELPS LIFT OUR FOCUS AND HEART TO HIM.
Psalms 33:1 Rejoice in the LORD, O ye righteous: for praise is comely for the upright.
- AT A TIME OF TENSION, WONDERING WHAT THE ROMANS AND THE JEWS WOULD DO NOW.
Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
1 John 2:14 I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.