1. THE HOLY SPIRIT HOLDS BACK THE MYSTERY OF INIQUITY IN THE LAST DAYS.
THE MYSTERY OF INIQUITY IS HOW PEOPLE COULD BE ATTRACTED TO EVIL SO EASILY IN THE LAST DAYS. IT IS LIKE A GIANT MAGNET, AND PEOPLE WILLINGLY SUBMIT TO IT, EVEN THOUGH LOGIC, HISTORY, OR EVEN SIMPLE COMMON SENSE ALL OPPOSE IT.
2 Thessalonians 2:6-7 And now ye know what withholdeth <2722> that he might be revealed in his time. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth <2722> will let, until he be taken out of the way.
“letteth” or “let”=Strong’s #2722 katecw katecho kat-ek-ko
1) to hold back, detain, retain
1a) from going away
1b) to restrain, hinder (the course or progress of)
1b1) that which hinders, Antichrist from making his appearance
1b2) to check a ship’s headway i.e. to hold or head the ship
2. THE SPIRIT REVERSES THE RESTRAINT THAT HAD US DOING DEAD WORKS AND EVILS DEEDS.
Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held <2722>; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
3. THE SPIRIT REMINDS US OF THINGS TO COME, THUS RESTRAINING OUR BAD BEHAVIOR.
JUDGMENT SEAT OF CHRIST. THIS STIRS OUR CONSCIENCE.
John 16:13 Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.
THESE THINGS CAN EITHER BE TO ENCOURAGE US TO YIELD TO HIM AND DO GOOD THINGS, OR CONVICT SO WE DON’T DO THINGS THAT WOULD DISPLEASE THE LORD.
Matthew 12:36 But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.
Romans 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
2 Corinthians 5:10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
4. THESE ARE WAYS THAT BELIEVERS COULD UNKNOWINGLY DEFEAT THE WORK OF THE SPIRIT.
- BY TRYING TO BE NEUTRAL ABOUT THINGS THAT ARE WRONG.
1 Corinthians 6:2-3 Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters? Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
- BY TRYING NOT OFFEND ANYONE. ***FACT: The Truth offends what is false. Jesus was always offending people because He told the truth. One work of the Spirit of God is to present the Truth. If you do not present the truth, but something to make people feel good, you are not an instrument of the Holy Spirit.
Mark 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.
Matthew 15:12 Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying?
Matthew 13:57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.
- BY REFUSING TO TEACH OUR CHILDREN FULLY.
- BY BEING EXAMPLES OF PEOPLE MATERIALISTICALLY MINDED.
- BY FAILING TO BE AGGRESSIVE TOWARD THE DEVIL.
- IN SOUL-WINNING & EDIFICATION MINISTRIES.