SERIOUS CONSEQUENCES TO DISOBEDIENCE
Grace Is A Wonderful Thing, But Judgement Can Just As Easily Occur If We Ignore Our Covenant With God
1. How long the covenant is valid.
A. Covenant to a people. (Jer. 11:3-4)
– So long as the people exist or the stated duration. Gen. 48:3-4
B. Covenant to an individual. The stated duration of the agreement.
– Salvation John 3:36, 6:47
– Punishment Daniel 12:2, 2 Thes. 1:9
(Gen. 21:33 – same word for everlasting)
– Strength and divine help. Heb. 13:5, 2 Thes. 2:16
2. The requirement for obedience.
(*Compliance with the terms of an agreement [obedience] is essential to
any contract, agreement or covenant.)
A. Is a condition for all covenants.
– The covenant with Israel. Deut. 11:27
– The covenant with individuals. 2 Thess. 1:8, 1 Pet. 4:17, John 14:15, 21
– As a general principle of God. Rom. 6:16
Ex. – People who obey bill-collectors more than God.
B. The safety net of grace. (For when we fail but repent.) Most contracts have
a “grace” period or “grace” clause included.
Ex. 34:9, Psalm 84:11, Eph. 1:7 THE WARNING: Rom. 6:1-15