WHEN WANTING SOMETHING ISN’T ENOUGH
1. What some people do to try to get what they want. (Jer. 21:1-2)
A. Enquire of God. (Isn’t what they used to do) Ezek. 20:3 & 30, 14:7
– through bribes 2 Kings 8:7-9
B. Remember God’s faithfulness. (In the past.)
C. Try to flatter or praise. Isaiah 29:13, Psalm 12:1-4
D. Say they are on God’s side. (when their actions show they really are not.)
E. Seek God’s advice (as the last option). 1 Chron. 10:13
2. What most people leave off is true repentance.
A. Sorrow that you committed sin is not enough.
B. Being sorry that consequences/judgement is catching up to you
is not enough.
– Do we expect judgement only for major things ?
– Do we ask if we can improve our lives ?
– Do we expect judgement if we don’t grow ?
C. Sorrow that you failed to meet your own expectations.
(God’s standards are what count !)
3. God is not moved by man’s false attempts at repentance. Eph. 5:20
A. God is weary with false repenting.
– True repentance brings change in heart and life. Matt. 3:8, Acts 26:20
B. God knows true repentance and what it brings.
C. God can give spirit of repentance if asked.
– Only those ready will ask for it. Rom. 2:4, Heb. 12:17, 2 Tim. 2:25