WHAT IS “WORSHIP” ?
Hebrew origin of the English word, “worship”=07812 החשׁ shachah shaw-khaw’
1) to bow down
1a) (Qal) to bow down, to depress one’s own self, to fully submit before another.
2 Chronicles 23:13 And she looked, and, behold, the king stood at his pillar at the entering in, and the princes and the trumpets by the king: and all the people of the land rejoiced, and sounded with trumpets, also the singers with instruments of musick, and such as taught to sing praise. Then Athaliah rent her clothes, and said, Treason, Treason.
1. IT ISN’T JUST GETTING CLOSER TO GOD.
A. IT IS OFTEN A STARTING PLACE FOR GREATER WORSHIP.
Exodus 24:1 And he said unto Moses, Come up unto the LORD, thou, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel; and worship ye afar off.
B. WORSHIP REQUIRES PREPARATION.
- IT MUST BE DONE IN HOLINESS. Psalms 29:2 Give unto the LORD the glory due unto His name; worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness. Psalms 96:9 O worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness: fear before Him, all the earth.
- IT MUST BE DONE IN SPIRIT AND TRUTH. John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth.
- IT MUST BE WITH THE FEAR OF THE LORD. Psalms 5:7 But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple.
2. WORSHIP COMES IN MANY FORMS.
A. IT IS SHOWN BY BOWING DOWN.
Psalms 95:6 O come, let us worship and bow down: let us kneel before the LORD our maker.
B. IT IS SHOWN THROUGH SERVICE.
Matthew 4:10 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.
C. IT IS GIVEN BY PRAISING GOD, GIVING GLORY DUE HIS NAME.
1 Chronicles 16:29 Give unto the LORD the glory due unto His Name: bring an offering, and come before him: worship the LORD in the beauty of holiness.
D. IT MAY BE DONE IN MANY SEVERAL PLACES.
- ANY PLACE WHJERE THE SPIRIT OF GOD IS WORKING. ***Didn’t Moses worship at the burning bush ? didn’t Noah worship in the ark, and when it landed on Mt. Ararat ?
- IN HIS TABERNACLE.
Psalms 132:7 We will go into his tabernacles: we will worship at his footstool.
- TOWARD HIS HOLY TEMPLE.
Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
E. IT MAY BE DONE IN SEVERAL WAYS.
- SUBMISSION OF EACH–BODY, SOUL, SPIRIT. ***Praise is only PART of worship.
- MAKING A JOYFUL NOISE.
Psalms 33:3 Sing unto him a new song; play skilfully with a loud noise.
Psalms 98:4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
Psalms 150:5 Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
3. GOD WILL NOT ACCEPT DIVIDED WORSHIP.
A. GOD PUNISHED ISRAEL FOR BEING PARTIAL IN THEIR WORSHIP. HE IS PUNISHING AMERICA TODAY FOR THE SAME REASON.
Zephaniah 1:1-6 The word of the LORD which came unto Zephaniah the son of Cushi, the son of Gedaliah, the son of Amariah, the son of Hizkiah, in the days of Josiah the son of Amon, king of Judah. I will utterly consume all things from off the land, saith the LORD. I will consume man and beast; I will consume the fowls of the heaven, and the fishes of the sea, and the stumblingblocks with the wicked; and I will cut off man from off the land, saith the LORD. I will also stretch out mine hand upon Judah, and upon all the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and I will cut off the remnant of Baal from this place, and the name of the Chemarims with the priests; And them that worship the host of heaven upon the housetops; and them that worship and that swear by the LORD, and that swear by Malcham; And them that are turned back from the LORD; and those that have not sought the LORD, nor enquired for him.
B. GOD DOESN’T ACCEPT ANY FORM OF IDOLATRY.
Luke 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.
A Bible Study with Dr. Ed J. MacWilliams