DEGREES OF PUNISHMENT
1. Israel to suffer double.
A. All that God does is righteous. Righteousness is part of His nature.
B. All that God does may not be understood by man.
Isaiah 55:8-9, Rom. 11:33, Isaiah 48:6
C. God desires to teach His children.
2. Degrees of sin. (All sin is against God.)
A. The wages of (one) sin is death. Rom. 6:23
– Only one solution. 1 John 1:7
B. Some sins are counted heavier than others.
– Some counted very serious. Gen. 18:20, Ex. 32:21, 30-31
– Some not as serious.Immediate death not required.
1 John 5:16
– Sins of ignorance. Lev. 4:2
– Sins of omission. Lev. 5:1, James 4:17
3. Degrees of punishment. Rev. 20:12-13
A. The individual situation is considered. Luke 12:48
B. The crime is considered. (Trespasses and sins)
TRESPASS = #3900 paraptoma
1.) to fall beside or near something
2.) a lapse or deviation from truth and uprightness
SIN = #266 hamartia
1a.) to be without a share in
1b.) to miss the mark (of God’s Law & Standard)
1c.) to err, be mistaken
1d.) to miss or wander from the path of uprightness and honor,
to do or go wrong
and sent His Son to be a propitiation for our sins.